Where it all began....

Where it all began....

Friday 4 June 2010

Minds Willing, Bodies Failing

I'm sorry to announce, that for now at least, our epic kayak trip around Cornwall is over. The conditions we faced on & off the water took their toll on us all.

Yesterday morning in the 4-6+ foot tidal races from the Lizard to Mullion Cove I (Tiff) severely aggravated an old shoulder injury and combined with the eye injury sustained the day before, this made me continuing extremely unsafe for us all.

Paul and Ollie faired a little better, but the pace we had been setting also took its toll. Paul damaged his wrist, making rescues/recovery not possible with kayaks weighing 250 lbs+ and Ollie was constantly bordering on sheer exhaustion.

We were all content dealing with the double figure blisters on our hands, split lips and permanent coving of salt/sand on the trip - However with the extremely bad physical state we are all in, we concluded it was not viable/safe to carry on.

We'd like to thank everyone who has donated the £500 + to Help for Heroes and hope our 94 hour run from Gunnislake Weir to Mullion Cove as a team, goes some way to showing our dedication to the planned trip. Plus we all wish to see the full Cornish coastline & may well carry on over the summer doing it in sustainable 2/3 day legs.

I (Tiff) would also like to announce, that I feel it would only be right to try and make it to Marsland Mouth, since that’s where we were being sponsored to reach. I do not wish to try and solo kayak the distance for safety reasons, however will keep as close to the original route as possible by running/walking the Cornish Coast path unsupported! Carrying all my own supplies and sleeping wherever I can find a suitable cave, bush, rock ledge etc. in which to bivvy under.

I need to recover for a few days, but am currently looking at starting my run on Monday 7th June from Mullion Cove. I shall keep this blog running & the Facebook page, plus will carry SPOT on my rucksack.

I hope this continuation of the trip solo (be it by land, instead of sea) will capture your hearts and lead to an even higher fundraising total for Help for Heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment